~ 1 Comment

Why Didn't I Do This a Long Time Ago?

Okay, so most of you know that I've been feeling HORRIBLE with this pregnancy. It's a good thing we had a school break for the last month (or so) because either way we weren't doing school, and it's much better if it's planned. :)


Well, the last few weeks have been much better. I've still been feeling very sick, but at least I feel like a human sick person and not a zombie. I've been slowly getting back into the swing of things, but only a little bit of a time. At this point we've added back in doing dishes (yeah), actually getting dressed during the day, school, and MOST of our other household chores. The main thing I have NOT been able to get caught up on is the laundry. (I mean, I barely stay "caught up" even when I'm feeling really well, so a month of misery got me WAY behind.)

This week the kids & I had our "chore meeting". Once a month or so I change up all the kids' chores so they don't get bored (or don't get bored as QUICKLY). They're always ready to do a different chore, so I hear them saying things like, "I hope I get 'vacuum'. I hope I get 'take out trash'." for about 3 days. :)

Well, this time, I took all of the kids' chores and divided them up between Annie & Andrew. I told Matthew he only had one chore: LAUNDRY. (He doesn't realize at this point that it will take as much time as four other chores.) He was very excited. He's my OCD child anyway, so putting him on a job like this - that is never "finished" - was the best thing I ever could have done. I showed him how to work the washer and dryer, how to sort clothes (he still has to ask me before can start the washer), and set him to work. He's even folding. (He's not folding like Momma would do it, but - hey, I'm not complaining.) Within one day, almost all of our laundry is done, and Matthew is as excited as can be - AND SO AM I.

So, I'm asking myself - why didn't I do this a month ago? I guess it's because I still have a hard time realizing that he's 8 - and that 8year-olds CAN accomplish a lot if they're properly motivated. Why do we assume that our kids can't do these things?

1 Response to "Why Didn't I Do This a Long Time Ago?"

  1. gravatar
    Anonymous January 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM Permalink

    awesomeness!! How cool that he took charge so quickly and so well. You are right, our children are capable of much more than we think possible. Glad it is going well!!!
    :)