~ 1 Comment

Bible Reading #3 (Part 2)

It's late, so I'm just going to make a few comments about Job, and then go to bed. 

 

I've always viewed Job's "friends" as the antagonists in this book.  You know, the poster children for "how NOT to comfort a grieving friend."  But, in this read-through, I noticed something that surprised me: a lot of what they had to say was True!  How do you deal with the fact that a lot of the thoughts and beliefs that they had were 100% accurate - but they ended up with a conclusion that was completely false!

 

Do you have a friend like that?  I have a couple of people from whom I don't want to hear ANYTHING.  In fact, I've gotten so used to tuning them out, that I don't even hear when they have things to say that are true.  So, how do I keep listening, keep acknowledging the fact that God could be using them (yes, even "them") to speak to me, and at the same time, disregarding the things they are saying that are NOT in line with what I know about God and His Word?

 

Okay, that wasn't a rhetorical question - I really am asking.  What do you think?  How do we balance these conflicting truths of believing that we are right, and also being open to the possibility that God may be speaking to us even through someone who is wrong?

 

Catching up?  Here's what you've missed so far:

Getting Ready

#1 and #2

#3

1 Response to "Bible Reading #3 (Part 2)"

  1. gravatar
    The Hag family January 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM Permalink

    I think you get a check in your spirit when the "truth" someone else is saying is actually supposed to sink in & be used by God to guide you. I think we all have people in our lives that it can be easy to overlook; our goal is to hear Him whomever He speaks thru. :) Shelly